会話: Giving Directions

Yesterday night, on my way back home, someone approached and asked me for direction to the building where I am working at. But the only words that came out of my mouth is “Eeto, mou sugu”, and then pointed my finger at the building. I realized later that what I've said didn't make sense at all. In Japanese, “Eeto” means “Err...” and “mou sugu” means “very soon”. Combine the words and it becomes “Err...very soon”. I gave direction by saying “Err...very soon”. What I was really trying to say to him is to just continue going straight , which can be said in Japanese as “Massugu itte kudasai”. I used “Mou sugu” instead of “Massugu”. As they sound alike, I just hope that the man who asked for direction figured out what I was trying to say and didn't get lost.

What should you say when you want to give directions in Japanese?

To tell someone to

Go straight, you say
まっすぐ行ってください。
Massugu itte kudasai
Please go straight.

Turn left/right, you say
左・右へ曲がってください。
Hidari/Migi e magatte kudasai.
Please turn left/right.

Go left/right, you say
左・右へ行ってください。
Hidari/Migi e itte kudasai.
Please go to the left/right

Stop (in case you are in taxi and want to let the driver know when and where to stop), you say
あそこで止めてください。
Asoko de tomete kudasai
Please stop there.


Examples:

この道をまっすぐ行ってください。
Kono michi o massugu itte kudasai.
Go straight on this street please.

次の角を右へ曲がってください。
Tsugi no kado wo migi e magatte kudasai.
Please turn right at the next corner.

最初の信号を左へ曲がってください。
Saisho no shingou wo hidari e magatte kudasai.
Please turn left at the first traffic light.

二つ目の角を右へ曲がってください。
Futatsu me no kado de migi ni magatte kudasai.
Please turn right at the second corner.

学校の隣で止めてください。
Gakkou no tonari de tomete kudasai.
Please stop next to the school.



No comments:

Post a Comment