文法: Grammar a Day - Level 2 [ 〜ことに 「は」 (kotoni) ]

〜ことに 「は」 (kotoni) - Very; Quite; The 〜 thing is that....

--- Notes ---
いA + ことに
なA + な + ことに
Vた(past plain form) + ことに

This grammar should be used at the head of the sentence. It should be used
to emphasize feelings, emotions, or sentiments.

--- Examples ---
嬉しいことに4月から、給料が1割りほど上がる。
It is a totally great thing, from April my salary goes up by 10%

残念なことに、 ポケットの穴から全部のお釣りを落としてしまいました。
Unfortunately, I lost all my change through a hole in my pocket.


ボスは猿を拷問することで快感を得る。
My boss gets his kicks out of torturing monkeys.

残念なことに、ストで新幹線が止まり、旅行は中止になってしまった。
Quite unfortunately, the bullet trains have been stopped because of a
strike, and our trip got cancelled.

驚いたことには、彼女は7か国語が話せるそうだ。
Quite surprisingly, I heard that she can speak seven foreign languages.

驚いたことになくした財布が無事に警察に届けられていた。
To my great surprise, my lost wallet made it to the police intact.

残念なことに、楽しみにしていたキャンプが雨で中止になった。
The unfortunate thing is that the camp I had looked forward to was canceled
due to rain.

--- Comments ---
I think the English translation should be better with 「The 〜 thing is
that, .....」for 「〜ことに」. So for
ex#310 嬉しいことに、四月から給料が一割ほど上がる
「The happy/hearthening thing is that, from April onwards my salary will
go up by around 10%.」I prefer to use 'hearthening' in this case.
Notice the comma is at the ことに

ex#5256「The unfortunate thing is that, I dropped and lost all my change
through a hole in my pocket.」  (contributor: 誠)

Example #5935 does not belong in this entry. This must be 'koto ni (ha).'
Also, you can only use the plain past tense of a verb before it, not plain
dictionary form. (contributor: rubyhatchet)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=kotoni


No comments:

Post a Comment