文法: Grammar a Day - Level 2 [ ないではいられない (naidehairarenai) ]

ないではいられない (naidehairarenai) - cannot help but, cannot
stop doing

--- Notes ---
FORMATION:
Vない + ではいられない

*Verbs only! This grammar uses negatives twice to express a very strong
positive meaning. For example, 'I can't NOT drink.' Of course, double
negatives are taboo in correct English, so you can use translations such as
'cannot help but,' 'cannot stop -ing,' and 'cannot help wanting to 〜.'

--- Examples ---
買い物せずにはいられない。
I can't help but buy stuff.

ストレスが溜まった時は酒を飲まないではいられない。
When I get stressed I can't help but drink sake .

あなたにキスをしないでいられません。
I can't help kissing you .

あの映画を見れば、だれでも感動せずにはられないだろう。
Anybody who sees that movie can't help being moved .

ふられた後で、泣かずにはいられなかった。
After being dumped, I but couldn't help but to cry.

彼のもの真似を見るとおかしくて、笑わないではいられない。
If you watch his mimicry, its funny and anyhow (it makes) you laugh.

私は、捨てられた子犬や子猫を見ると、助けたあげないではいられない。
When I see a stray dog or cat, I can't help but rescue them.

ダイエットをしているのに、食後には甘いものを食べないではいられない。
Even though I'm dieting, I can't help but eat something sweet after a meal.


困っている人を見たら、助けずにはいられない。
If I see worried people, I can't help but rescue them.

決して夢をあきらめない彼の生き方をみていると、私は感動しないではいられない。
When I intend to look his way of life, deciding he won't give up his
dreams, I can't help but being deeply moved emotionally.

--- Comments ---
I know this can be argued over, but in most cases, wouldn't the 酒 in ex
#562 be understood as 'alcohol' (any alcohol), rather than specifically
'sake'? I've always heard 日本酒 used for 'sake'...
Might be a generational thing, though. (contributor: drdave)

I give ex#6713 and #6714 because I think this grammar entry is very close
of the one. (contributor: 赤毛)

Dr Dave, I agree with you on that one, 酒を飲む just means to drink
alcohol. so the speaker isn`t specifying what kind he/she is drinking just
that he/she drinks whens their stressed. (contributor: tigert)

>drdave< I agree with you too.
Meanwhile, I am not familiar with this grammar pattern. Can someone confirm
a literal translation for me? in other words, can someone tell me if it is
入るor要るor居る...or none of the above.
>赤毛< I am not sure that I can agree with your entries. I think that
those are just 可能系 of いる, that is different from this pattern,
which uses a double negative for emphasis. It doesn't seem wise to mix
examples in just because they seem similar. (contributor: emilyjuno)

EmilyJunoさん: どうもすみません。I moved my examples to ex 6736
and ex 6737 of entry . I changed my example #6713 and #6714 so there is a
double negative. I used zunihairarenai here instead of in normal entry but
Dcさん and VitorHadadさん did it too. (contributor: 赤毛)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=naidehairarenai


No comments:

Post a Comment