文法: Grammar a Day - Level 3 [ そう (sou-2) ]

そう (sou-2) - I hear that

--- Notes ---
see [looks/seems/heard-group] for similar examples

There are two connotations to sou
note the difference in verb ending

they say/i heard
雨が降るそうです
furu-sou
iku-sou
omoshiroi-sou
genki-da sou

[sou-2] looks like/seems
雨が降りそうです
furi-sou
omoshiro-sou
genki-sou

--- Examples ---
天気予報を聞いてたら雪が降るそうです。
When I listened to the weather forcast they reckoned it's going to snow.

電話したら彼はいないそうです。
Upon phoning, I was told that he wasn't there.

彼はいないのですかと聞いたらそうだといわれました。
When I asked if he was not there, I was told that it was so.

そうですか!
Is that so!

なんでそうやねん(Kansai Dialect)
Why so?

そうだと言ったんだよ!
I said it was so! (that way)

--- Comments ---
I don't like that example. I should have looked a little longer and got a
better one. ^^v (contributor: Amatuka)

Formed by [V-ru] + sou. (contributor: Amatuka)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=sou-2


No comments:

Post a Comment