文法: Grammar a Day - Level 3 [ が欲しい (hoshii) ]

が欲しい (hoshii) - N, to want something (desirative)

--- Notes ---
But how do you express 'don't want'? I can say 'don't need' with irimasen,
and 'don't intend to' with tsumori dewa arimasen, but it still seems like
there is a better way? Is there no direct opposite to hoshii?

the negative of hoshii is hoshikunai
 行って欲しくない
 I dont want you to go


You can also use hoshi to express your desire for someone else to do
something.

私はキムさんがケーキを食べてほしいですが
I want kim to eat cake, but ....

for the most part you can exclude 私は because its implied by the
grammar. the person you want to complete the action takes the
が particle and the verb takes the てform followed by the 欲しい
statement 欲しいです

the final が at the end of the sentence means 'but' and is used to
soften the tone of the request.


--- Examples ---
靴がほしいのです。
I'd like some shoes.

「わたしは、妻と子供が欲しいので、家が必要なんだよ。」
'I want a wife and children, and so I need a house.'

だれか話し相手がほしい。
I want someone to talk to.

もう一杯ビールがほしいな。
I feel like another beer.

デザートにアイスクリームがほしい。
I want ice cream for dessert.

君は何がほしい。
What do you want now?

領収書がほしいのですが。
I would like a receipt, please.

欲しい。
I want (you/it).  

僕の宿題をして欲しいですが。
I want you to do my homework.

なにがほしいか言ってください。
If you want something please ask for it.

どんなかばんがほしいですか。
What sort of portfolio do you want?

わたしがほしいちずはどこにもありませんでした。
The map I wanted was nowhere to be seen.

わたしはもっと小さいテープレコダーがほしいです。
The tape recorder I want is a little smaller.

あたらしいようふくがほしいです。
I want new Western-style clothes.

--- Comments ---
Formed by a noun or noun phrase + ga hoshii.
(Note that, depending on context, ga may be replaced with the topic /
contrast marker ha / wa)

N = noun (contributor: Amatuka)

Darn. Typo on 'differs'. (contributor: Amatuka)

Note that it's commonly spelt 〜欲しい, like in ex #4990 (contributor:
mathrick)

hoishi is always used in the case of nouns... means when we want some
noun.. that could be a book... car... camera.. anything.
where as tai is also a want but it concern with some action or verb u want
to do.. example: shigoto o shitai desu.
one more..
example in both the case.... make out the difference
example of hoishi..
watashi wa kuruma ga hoishi desu..
example of tai..
watashi wa kuruma o kaitai desu.

I hope.... u all got this ...........
domo (contributor: prachi)

I believe you can also use 欲しい with the て-form of the verbs:

EX. 写真を撮って欲しいんですが。
I want to have a picture taken.

The difference between 撮って欲しい and 撮りたい is that in the
latter, it is I who wishes to take the picture, while in the former, I want
someone else to take a picture for me. (contributor: sutashu)

I read somewhere that you can also add のが欲しい to the end of a verb
(not as a conjugation) to make it say, for instance, 'I want to have a
picture taken.' It'd sort of be like 'I want the thing of taking a
picture.' (の making 'to take a picture' a noun clause?) (contributor:
Saralynne)

Good point Saralynne,

Its important to remember that although some grammar constructions can only
be used in combination with a noun, In Japanese turning a verb into a noun
is rather simple. こと、の、or just slap a noun right after the
dict-form of a verb and you can use it with any construction you want.

Hey prachi,
Hoshi isn`t always used with nouns its also used with verbs to express
that you want others do do something for you. して欲しい
(contributor: tigert)

I give some examples of JPLT4 to show that this entry is level 4 rather
than level 3. (contributor: 赤毛)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=hoshii


No comments:

Post a Comment