文法: Grammar a Day - Level 2 [ きっかけに (kikkakeni) ]

きっかけに (kikkakeni) - Since; Take the opportunity afforded by 〜
to 〜

--- Notes ---
see [simultaneous-actions-group] for comparisons

used when a major event created an opportunity for something else at the
same time.
'on moving to paris, i decided to learn french'.
and other phrases are a more casual 'at the same time as A, I did B'.

FORMATION:
N + をきっかけに・きっかけとして・きっかけにして

(*Note: you always need を after the noun.)


since he was out, she took the opportunity to hide it.

--- Examples ---
引っ越しをきっかけに家具を買いかえた。
while moving I took the chance to change (LIT buy different) my furniture.


子供が生まれたのをきっかけにタバコを止めました
Since I had kids, I took the opportunity to quit smoking

この事件をきっかけに
with this case as a start

日本に住んでいるきっかけに生け花の伝統的な芸道を勉強しています。
Since I am in Japan, I am studying the traditional art of flower
arrangement.

そのことをきっかけに彼は写真に夢中になった。
That was what led him into becoming very consumed with photography.

妻の病気をきっかけに、家族の結束は再び固まった。
My wife's illness brought the family back together.

この劇では導入部をきっかけにストーリーが展開する。
This introduction sets the stage for the rest of the play.

その事件をきっかけとして、第二次世界大戦がはじまったといわれる。
It's said that World War II began in the wake of that incident.

それをきっかけとしてけんかに加わっていた他の人たちもお互いにトマトを投げ合い始めました。
This made other people involved in the fight start to throw tomatoes at
each other.

多くのひとが新年を禁煙のきっかけにする。
Many people use the New Year as a trigger to stop smoking.

--- Comments ---
implies cause and effect. since A happened, I did B (contributor: dc)

but the causeeffect is not as related as with say ので (contributor: dc)

shouldn't this entry be listed under 'wokikkakeni' not 'okikkakeni' ?
(Likewise for 'okeikini') (contributor: PaulO)

yep! done. (contributor: dc)

also added - this entry could do with a more conclusive explanation...
(contributor: mika)

In ex#1144, I wonder if 子供が生まれたのをきっかけに...
should be 子供が生まれたきっかけに.... Or, may be I dont know
if there is a difference between wokikkakeni and kikkakeni (contributor:
Archana)

子供が生まれたのをきっかけに is correct.However, the English
version reading 'Since I had kids' should read 'Triggered by the birth of
my child' (contributor: bamboo4)

In ex.#5718, 'Since I am in Japan' should be corrcted to read: 'With my
being in Japan as a start..' (contributor: bamboo4)

#5718 I think 日本に住んでいるのをきっけかに is better as
natural Japanese. (contributor: Sleepy)

#5718 sorry I meant 日本に住んでいるのをきっかけに.
(contributor: Sleepy)

I think this is identical to so one of these should be deleted...
(contributor: dc)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=kikkakeni

No comments:

Post a Comment