文法: Grammar a Day - Level 2 [ うちに (uchini) ]

うちに (uchini) - while; during; as

--- Notes ---
うち (内) means inside. so this is 'inside the time' or while.

I found this helpful:
うちに indicates a period of time WITHIN WHICH an action occurs, and
corresposnds to English 'while still', or in negative constructions
'before'.

It is different to あいだ, which indicates a period DURING OR THROUGHOUT
WHICH an action occurs, and is equivalent to English 'while'.

学生のうちに、よく勉強ひておきなさい。
Study hard while you are still a student.

Different to:
学生の間に、いろんな所を、旅行するつもりです。 I
plan to travel to lots of places during the time I am a student.

うちに is also used to indicate an event building up or reaching a
climax AS some action is being done.

先生の話を聞いているうちに、眠くなってきた。
I grew tired as I listened to the teacher speak.


--- Examples ---
若いうちに本をたくさん読みなさい。
While you are young, read many books.

暇なうちに、遊びに来てください。
While you are free, come here and play with me please.

暗黙のうちに承諾する。
Accept implicitly.

みるみるうちに太った。
He gained weight just while I was watching him.

どうぞ、熱いうちに、食べて下さい。
Please go ahead and eat it while it's still hot

学生のうちに、よく勉強しておきなさい。
Study hard while you are still a student .

先生の話を聞いているうちに、眠くなってきた。
I grew tired while I listened to the teacher speak.

ふるさとの母から届いた手紙を読んでいるうちに、思わず涙がこぼれた。
While I was reading the letter I had received from my mother old home,
tears went up spontaneously.

日本語を勉強して行くうちに日本に関する色々なことが分かって来た。
As I am learning Japanese, I begin to understand various aspects related
with Japan.

--- Comments ---
Wouldn't #3156 mean something more like 'please come visit whenever you're
free'. I'm not a native English speaker, but er, 'come here and play with
me' has kind of a wrong sound to it, doesn't it? (contributor: zio)

Yes it certainly sounds pretty weird in English. I think zio's translation
is probably the most natural sounding translation of that sentence.
(contributor: bi-ru)

暇なうちに does not mean 'whenever you're free'. 'Whilte you are free'
would be better. Just correct the latter part. (contributor: Miki)

#6183 Please change from これど to これで. (contributor: Miki)

Whoops! Bad typo. Thanks for alerting me to it. (contributor: minutiae)

isnt ex #6184 an example for the other 'UCHI NI' meaning 'before it stops'?
(contributor: karekora)

Minutiaeさん> Please correct the notes:
勉強ひて->勉強して as in ex#6184.
Why are they 2 different grammar entry うちに+うちに-2?
In my point of view:
One use of うちに describe a progressive change in the 2 clauses before
and after うちに. This use is associated with progressive form of verbs
like Vテ+行く(change in the future) and Vテ+来る(change in the past)
or sudden change like Vイ+出す and Vイ+始める. In this use,
うちに cannot be substituted by あいだに. These examples like ex
#3160 are the best for .
The other use of うちに make an opposition between a temporary state in
the clause before うちに which permits the clause after うちに, and
the end of this temporary clause when it will be too late. This use should
be in [uchini-2] but there are various example here in .
I think it will be great to rearrange these 2 entry. So I moved Ex #6186
from here to #6903 of [uchini-2] and I changed it with the example from the
notes which fits better. (contributor: 赤毛)

Is it just me or does 学生の間に seem a little unnatural? I cannot
put my finger on it, but maybe if the sentence included the subject.

僕が学生の間に 色々な所へ行くつもりです or
maybe this is a good place for 時 or にを消したら? 

僕が学生の間 色々な所に行くつもりです
僕が学生の時に色々な所に行くつもりです

I don`t know what it is, but that example just doesn`t seem natural. 
(contributor: tigert)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=uchini



No comments:

Post a Comment