文法: Grammar a Day - Level 3 [ 〜など (nado) ]

〜など (nado) - and etc.

--- Notes ---
など, which means 'et cetera', 'and so on', is similar to and can be used
in conjunction with や, but is generally used to conclude a list of
examples, or samples of a potentially larger list.

--- Examples ---
彼は失敗などしないと言う。
He says he is above failure.

私は野球、テニス、バレーボールなどをすることができます。
I can play baseball, tennis, volleyball, and so on

お母さん、アップルジュース、コーラ、お茶等を買って欲しいんですけど。
Mum, I want you to buy apple juice, coca cola, tea and things like that.


鉛筆やペンや消しゴムや本などを買いました。
I bought pencils, pens, erasers and books and etc.

彼らは私の年齢、姓名、国籍などを聞きました。
They ask about my age, my name, my nationality and so on.

--- Comments ---
In the first example 'and such like' may be implied, but nado is often used
in this way without necessarily literally meaning 'and so on', I think
maybe it makes the sentence less rigidly precise. (contributor: Amatuka)

The second example is the standard 'list' usage. The particle 'ya' can be
used in place of the commas. (contributor: Amatuka)

等、、、 is also used as english 'etc...' (contributor: dc)

なんか and なんて have the same meaning but are colloquial terms.
Another usage of those three is when you don't think much of something or
contem something. (contributor: halx)

Ex.3218: Isn´t apple :ringo? (contributor: Futaro)

Apple juice is りんごジュース or アップルジュース.
(contributor: Miki)

I think など, like なんて, can also indicates that the speaker is
shocked or outraged. I think it's the case in this sentence:
かよわいものから りゃくだつなど!
(contributor: mattaku)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=nado


No comments:

Post a Comment