文法: Grammar a Day - Level 3 [ すぎる (sugiru) ]

すぎる (sugiru) - too; too much; excessively

--- Notes ---
added to Verbs: Conjunctive form of Verb
(行く-->行き;食べる-->食べ) + すぎる
add to Adjectives: Root of Adjective
(むずかしい-->むすかし;大きい-->大き)+ すぎる

This construction can mean 'too much,' as in,
むずかしすぎる (too hard); 大きすぎる (too big) or it can mean
'excessively,' as in, 行きすぎる (to go too much); 食べすぎる (to
eat too much).


--- Examples ---
その人はちょっと食べすぎましたね。
That person ate a little too much.

このりんごは甘すぎて、食べられない。
This apple is too sweet to eat.

あそこは少し高すぎると思います。
I'm afraid that place is a little too expensive.

あの男はおしゃべりすぎる。
He talks too much.

いまからでは遅すぎる。
It's too late now.

このイスは私には低すぎる。
This chair is too low for me.

このウイスキーは強すぎる。
This whisky is too strong.

このカレーはからすぎる。
This curry is too hot.

このズボンはわたしには派手すぎる。
These pants are too fancy for me.

この問題は
単純すぎる。
This problem is too simple.

--- Comments ---
With the examples here it would seem that

tabesugiru = eat too much
hanashisugiru = talk too much.

Could anyone explain why 'hanashisugiru' means 'talk too much' but 'hayaku
hanashisugiru' means 'speak too quickly'?

From my understanding, I would have said that 'ano hito ha hayaku
hanashisugimasu' translates as 'That person quickly speaks too much'.
(contributor: bi-ru)

To me, 'that person quickly speaks too much' doesn't make much sense.
hayaku hanashisugiru means 'speak too quickly' because hayaku is an adverb.
Thus, it becomes hayakuhanasu + sugiru (speaks quickly + too much) = speaks
too quickly (contributor: Ness)

Ah thanks Ness, it does make sense. I guess I'm thinking too much in
English where it is speak rather than quickly speak . So I kept thinking I
had to write something like hayasugite hanasu... (contributor: bi-ru)

ex #5711 in Japanese means 'He talks too much.' (contributor: bamboo4)

Corrected. Thank you bamboo4 (contributor: Miki)

hayaku hanashisugiru could also be 'to speak too soon' although I doubt it
has the same colloquial meaning as in english. (contributor: Matt)

sugiru is level 3 grammar point.its not in level 4 (contributor: ramu)

what if it is a na adjective? how do you add the sugiru then?
(contributor: Burcksan)

^ Yeah, I'd like to know this, too! (contributor: Himiko)

na adjective is きれいな、元気な、ひまな correct? We don't say
like きれいな過ぎる.
きれい過ぎる  too beautiful 元気すぎる  暇すぎる
... sounds negative
とてもきれいな very beautiful とても元気な とても暇
(contributor: Miki)

One would not normally say 'hanashisugiru' but would say 'shaberisugiru'
(しゃべり過ぎる)as in the example.
(contributor: bambo4)

It should be noted that you don't use the kanji for 〜すぎる because it
is an auxiliary verb in this construct, and one should not use kanji for
auxiliary verbs. Similarly, one does not say 食べて来た nor
読んで行った, but rather 食べてきた and 読んでいった.
(contributor: TheoMurpse)

Also, directed at Burcksan, 派手 is a na-adjective, so just look at ex
#5716 for the answer. (contributor: TheoMurpse)

I've been thinking about the 'sugiru' issue for quite some time. And,
talking to some native speakers, I was told that when expressing something
like 'to talk too fast', constructions like '早すぎて話す' are not
quite possible and I was also told that things like
あの人は早く話しぎる do mean “That person quickly speaks too
much”, like bi-ru just said. So, to express the idea of talking too fast,
the best construction would be something like 話すのが早すぎる. I
would like to see some replies to this, thanks.     (contributor:
phbotelho)

phbotelho: I think you're right.
While '早すぎて話す' is a bit odd and '早く話しすぎる'
technically permissable, I think '話すのが早すぎる' feels the most
natural. I'm not a native speaker though, so any native input on this?
At any rate, Google seems to back this up with the three phrases giving me
0, 32, and 2500 hits respectively, the latter being a roughly comparable
number to the hits for the English 'speaks too quickly'. (contributor:
mochabean)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=sugiru


No comments:

Post a Comment