文法: Grammar a Day - Level 2 [ もので (monode) ]

もので (monode) - because of (that thing)


--- Examples ---
初心者なもので
As I'm a newbie ...

月謝を払う余裕がないもので、少しお金を貸してくれますか。
Since I cannot afford to pay my monthly tuition, would you mind lending me
some money?

だって、 高いもん〜!
But its really expensive!

--- Comments ---
This is often used when saying excuses. Shortened to もん in spoken
Japanese. I really hate hearing people say this to me. (contributor:
blabby)

sorry, I often use
もん... だって暑いんだもん。いらいらするんだもん。;)
(contributor: Miki)

I often hear this in the context of a whiney complaint. Several Japanese
friends advised me that only children and sometimes women use it and that
adult males rarely or never use it (depending on the person). (contributor:
Jay)

I would add that 〜もん is not necessarily always in the context of
complaining. However, it is VERY cheeky; using this can absolutely project
a bad impression, unless you really are among the bold, frank, and
sometimes even careless. (For an example of usage among men, see the
Japanese language version of Red Dwarf) (contributor: sanjiyan)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=monode


No comments:

Post a Comment