文法: Grammar a Day - Level 3 [ 〜てある (tearu) ]

〜てある (tearu) - Vte something has been purposely put into a state


--- Examples ---
窓が開けてある。
The window has been left open.

窓が閉めてある。
The window has been closed.

窓を(は)開けてある。
I left the window open.

窓を(は)閉めてある。
I kept the window closed.

--- Comments ---
Compare
窓が開いている。
The window is open.
窓が開けてある。
The window has been opened. (contributor: Amatuka)

Note that tearu only combines with transitive verbs, never intransitive.
The result of transitive + tearu is an intransitive itself.

(contributor: bi-ru)

and... my mind has been blown. (contributor: k-dogg)

I saw ex 3250 and looking the little window I read: 'mado ga aketearu
and ex. 3251: mado ga shimete aru.
Then, I saw Amatuka´s comments and I constat that I was wrong. How can I
know which of the reading of the kanji in the little window is correct.
Thank you for your help. (contributor: Futaro)

Amatuka is wrong on pronunciation.

窓が開いている -> まどがあいている

As Bi-ru notes, the ている form is resultative for intransitive verbs,
but the てある form lets you take a transitive verb and do the same
thing.

窓が開いている -> The window is open. (no agent or reason implied)

窓が開けてある -> The window is open (because someone opened it).
(contributor: Tenorikuma)

Amatuka`s pronunciation isn`t wrong. 開く can be pronounced あく or
ひらく they both mean the same thing. but あく is used for things
that swing open and ひらく is used for things that slide open. IE
sliding doors, windows, etc... (contributor: tigert)

--- View this entry online ---
http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=tearu



No comments:

Post a Comment